Friday Fiction- Fairy Tale Redux Part 7

Castle Neuschwanstein, Germany“Good  morning,” Isabella said to the back of Eddie’s head as he stared out the window. “What would you like to eat?”

Eddie turned. His eyes widened and a slow smile stretched across his face.

“Uh, the usual,” he replied.

“Oh, well, I’m new here,” Isabella felt heat rise to her face as she stumbled over her words. “Sorry, what is your usual?”

“Whatever Doc’s making,” Eddie replied with a wink.

Isabella’s blush deepened. She tried to hide it by glancing back at the kitchen.

“I think it’s scrambled eggs and bacon all around today.” She managed to keep her voice even as she looked at Eddie again. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“Coffee, please.”

Isabella nodded and began to turn.

“Wait,” Eddie said, reaching out a hand. “What’s your name?”

His fingers brushed against her arm as she turned back a bit too quickly.

She paused and glanced out the window before meeting his eyes again.

“Snow,” she replied. “My name’s Snow.”

“Nice to meet you Snow. I’m Eddie.”

Isabella couldn’t stop herself from smiling as she replied, “I know.”

Eddie cocked his head slightly and then glanced at the table of old men. They all turned quickly back to their plates.

“Um, I better get that coffee.”

As she walked to the kitchen, her arm still tingled where his fingers had brushed her skin.

*****

“You will tell me where she is.” Isabella’s stepmother placed a finger under Hunter’s chin and forced him to look at her. “If you don’t, you and your family will be out on the street. I promise.”

“The last place I saw her was the gas station off exit 70. I drove all over town, askin’ if anybody’d seen her, but no one had.”

The stepmother narrowed her eyes and searched his face for answers. Finally she lowered her hand and stepped back.

“All right, then that’s where we’ll start. My husband believes the police are searching for her so we’d better act fast, before he starts making phone calls on his own.”

Hunter nodded and studied a small chip in the tile floor.

“That means move. Now.”

Hunter nodded again and headed for the garage. He didn’t know what would be worse, finding her, or never seeing her again.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Friday Fiction- Fairy Tale Redux Part 7

1. Sarah L Fox says:

This is a great story, Nicole! I’m sorry I wasn’t able to read it before but I’m really glad I’ve had the chance to catch up now. I’m particularly liking Doc’s character. =) I hope the evil stepmother gets what she deserves in the end! ;-)

Thanks Sarah! I’m so glad you like it, and don’t worry about missing some. I’m certain that you have plenty to do besides sit and wait for my stories. I’m touched that you take the time to read when you can! Good luck with the synopsis and querying!

2. Scott Hutchinson says:

In heaven I bet you get to read Friday Fiction every day, and the story never ends. Nice work as usual Nicole !

Aw, that’s pretty high praise! How are things going with your writing projects?

• Scott Hutchinson says:

The Haiku book is very close now, and in the children’s “Alphabuddybugs” book Kelly has finished the characters up through Misty Mosquito ! I am being patiently ecstatic right now. Thanks for asking Nicole.

That is great to hear Scott. I’m so glad things are moving along. I like that description, “patiently ecstatic”, it’s perfect. Best of luck to you and take care!

3. Like Sarah, I finally got a chance to get caught up, and so glad I did. This story is so visual. Alternate fairy tales are hot right now. Ever tried your hand at writing scripts? This would work! In any case, I’m really enjoying it! Have a great weekend, Nicole! :-)

Thanks Vaughn! I haven’t ever thought about script writing but now that you mention it, I think it would be so fun! That’s basically what I do anyway when I write, I put words to the movie that is playing in my head. Maybe I should look into that. I hope you have a great weekend too! Today is warm (well, relatively) and sunny here. I hope you’re getting some sun there as well.

4. D. D. Falvo says:

I love all of your subtle details that enhance the sensory experience. You have to promise me that you will work on this as a full-length novella. It’s really that good. :)

5. David says:

Nice work with this one, Nicole! I especially enjoyed the romantic tension between Eddie and Snow. I’ve been finding the ‘references’ pretty funny. I ought to be the one thanking ‘you’ for the cool stories to read on my tablet. Better than the official news I get in RSS from Reuters.

I’m glad your year is going well. I’ve had a couple days off work so I’ve had the time to catch up on some e-mails and do some reading. If you ever need anything promoted/tweeted/liked etc., please don’t hesitate to let me know. I don’t always have the time to reply in a timely manner, but that’s life, I guess.

All the Best in 2013!
    –David

Fiction is always more fun than the news, right? ;)

I was fortunate enough to get two weeks off during the holidays! Now that is a great start to the year. :) The only problem is that after a break that long it’s tough to start getting up at the crack of dawn again. I’m glad you had a couple of days off! It always feels good to cross a few things off the to-do list.

I appreciate your offer to share things for me, and I appreciate all the support you’ve already given. It means a lot to me that you take time out of your day to read what I’ve written. There’s no need to do more than that!

All the best to you as well David!

6. Sue Harrison says:

This is fun, Nicole! Great job!

7. Nice conflict with the hunter! I also think it’s interesting that the prince thinks she’s a waitress rather than a princess. Great twists, Nicole :)