Friday Fiction- Fairy Tale Redux Part 6

Castle Neuschwanstein, GermanyThe next morning Isabella woke to the smell of coffee and bacon. The tantalizing aroma seeped through the cracks around the door and filled the small room off the back of the kitchen which Doc had given to her. A deep inhalation told her brain it was time to get up. She stretched and rolled out of the covers.

As she stood, she looked down at her clothes. They were wrinkled and had acquired a few new stains from her efforts at preparing dinner the night before.

Ah well, not much I can do about that, she thought as she slid her feet into her small black shoes.

As she stepped into the kitchen, Doc greeted her with a smile.

“Morning Snow,” he called cheerily over the sound of sizzling bacon and clanking dishes. “How’d you sleep?”

She glanced up at the clock on the wall and blinked. Was it really six a.m.?

“Not long enough apparently,” she replied.

Doc chuckled.

“Well, I like to start early, make breakfast for myself and the guys before the morning rush.”

Isabella poked her head around the corner and, sure enough, the same six men sat in the same six chairs that they’d been in the night before.

The bell above the door jingled, causing Isabella’s breath to catch in her throat. Her heart thudded as she looked up, expecting to see Hunter, or worse, her stepmother.

Instead a young man, not much older than Isabella, entered the diner.

The men at the table waved and called greetings. The young man returned the greetings with a smile before sliding into a nearby booth.

“Is that the morning rush?” Isabella asked as she ducked back into the kitchen.

Doc glanced up at the clock.

“Ah, that’d be Eddie. Comes by every morning before he goes to visit his mom at the nursing home. He’s a prince, that one.”

“Hmm, well, what do you need me to do?”

“First thing you need to do is change those clothes. Can’t have you waiting tables looking like some street urchin. Not in my fine establishment,” he added with a wink. “Try that on.” He nodded toward the door to Isabella’s room.

Hanging on the back of the door she saw a lovely blue skirt and a yellow short-sleeved shirt. They looked about the right size.

Isabella looked back at Doc with her eyebrows raised.

“Used to belong to my little girl,” he said. “She’s not so little anymore. Grew up, moved away, but I’ve still got a few of her things. Washed it for you and everything.”

Isabella smiled her thanks and retrieved the clothes off the door.

After she’d dressed and smoothed her hair, she looked in the small mirror hanging on the wall and sighed.

Good as it’s gonna’ get, she thought.

*****

Isabella’s father sat on the floor of his daughter’s room with his head in his hands.

“Oh Isabella, I’m so sorry,” he whispered. “What have I done?”

He looked up then, and stared into the large oval mirror which hung on Isabella’s wall, the one that had once been her mother’s.

“It hurt to see you because it made me think of her. I couldn’t face losing her, and now I’ve lost you both.”

Behind him he saw his new wife step into the room. She approached slowly and placed her hands on his shoulders.

“It’s not your fault.”

“It is my fault. I wasn’t there for her. She never would have run away if I’d have been a better father.”

“Stop, don’t torture yourself. I told you, the police are looking for her. She couldn’t have gone very far. We’ll find her.” Isabella’s stepmother coaxed him to his feet. “Come downstairs now, your breakfast is ready.”

The stepmother ushered Isabella’s father into the hall. Before she closed the door she looked back at the mirror and gazed at her own reflection.

Time to get rid of the competition, she thought.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Friday Fiction- Fairy Tale Redux Part 6

1. David says:

Keep up the good work, Nicole!

Thank you, David. I’ll try! I hope things are going well with you. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment and I hope this is a great year for you.

• David says:

You’re most welcome, Nicole. Apologies I couldn’t write more in-depth earlier. I was reading on my tablet and the keyboard is a little hokey. So far, my year’s been pretty good (if busy). I hope you’re having an awesome year, too!

I really enjoyed reading Part Six. I’m looking forward to reading about what happens between Isabella and Eddie (if anything). Also, the ‘Doc’ reference struck me as funny too, given the theme of your short story. For a short story, it’s pretty elaborate and well-laid out. Thanks for sharing it with us!

If you ever need anything re-tweeted/liked/pinned/G+ed or whatever, please feel free to let me know. Sometimes I take a while to get around to e-mails and such (and I’m even slower with social networking sites) but I try to always respond when I can.

I’ve also added your website to my Google Currents feed so I can read it wherever I go. ;)

All the best, and keep writing!

–David

Never a need to apologize David, but I am glad to hear more from you! My year is going very well so far and I’m glad to hear yours is too.

Thanks for your encouragement on the story. I always question what I am or should be posting on a blog, so it’s nice to hear that you’re enjoying it enough to add it to your Google feed! I genuinely appreciate that and I will certainly keep writing!

Take care and I wish you all the best!

2. D. D. Falvo says:

I already adore Eddie– he is exactly what a prince should be. This tale just keeps getting better and better and I really enjoy coming back each week to delve in a little deeper. Awesome work, Nicole!

Thanks D.D.! I agree about Eddie, and I’m so glad that you keep coming back. ;) Thanks for your encouragement and support. You’re awesome.

3. Bethany says:

When I read your writing, I can’t stop. You always leave me wanting more. I loved this!

Thanks so much Bethany! I really appreciate the compliment, it means a lot to me. I admire your writing and I always look forward to your posts.

4. Scott Hutchinson says:

He’s a prince, that one. Nicole you are so clever sometimes I have to laugh out loud ! This tale is rolling along very nicely, thanks again for your work !

5. Ooh, I like the mention of the prince. And a villain’s perspective always spices up the story :)