This recipe is taken from Mother Earth News magazine, and these frites turned out fantastic. The absolute best part about our homemade fries? My husband made them!
You will need: Potatoes, Oil, Salt
1. Peel potatoes and hand cut into sticks at least 1/2 inch thick
2. Rinse potatoes to remove excess starch, pat dry
3. Begin heating enough oil in a deep fryer or deep skillet to submerge a couple handfuls of fries. When the oil temperature reaches 320 degrees, add a couple handfuls of fries (but no more so that the oil doesn’t cool too much)
4. Fry for 5-8 minutes, depending on the thickness and type of potatoes, gently shaking the pan or deep fryer cage to prevent sticking
5. Empty fries into a large bowl lined with paper towels and allow to cool for half an hour
6. Increase the oil temperature to 375 degrees and re-fry the fries for 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden brown
7. Serve with salt, mayonnaise, and beer…the Belgian way!